”Ethics matters” Conference
4 February 2020
The role of ethics and integrity in influencing policy making in all non-medical research
The conference aims to explore the relationship between evidence-based policy advice and research ethics and integrity in non-medical research. Through dialogue between researchers, ethics experts and policy-makers from a wide range of disciplines, the following issues will be explored:
- Who are the experts behind the policy advice? How are the experts chosen and how are they informed? How can the integrity of advice-providers be ensured?
- How can transparency and trust be established and maintained? How can citizen involvement in developing policy advice be established?
- How can policy-makers be assured that the evidence they seek is based on ethically sound research produced with integrity?
- How can we support The Brussels Declaration and benefit from ‘evidence-based policy-making’ rather than suffer ‘policy-biased evidence’?
Targeting researchers, policy-makers, policy advisers, chief scientific officers, civil society leaders and journalists, the conference aims to present the research ethics and integrity framework developed by the PRO-RES consortium and discuss how it could be applied to policy-making. The interplay between both the public and private sector, and between research experts and policy-makers is a core feature of this conference.
Through round-tables, keynote speeches and break-out sessions, commonalities across non-medical research areas will be explored and policy recommendations will be developed. Furthermore, the conference aims to strengthen the network of key stakeholders for future dialogue. PRO-RES aims to build towards an inclusive approach to experts for sound policy benefits and the conference will help the consortium to focus its energies in this direction.
As non-medical research is a wide field, the discussions will focus on the following areas of research:
- Covert research and surveillance
- Working in dangerous areas and conflict zones
- Behavioural research collecting data from social media and internet sources
- Artificial intelligence and robotics
- Environmental research